Tuesday, October 14, 2008

futurama and margins

As I said earlier, the CEO of Connacher was caught with his pants down and forced into a margin call. Here's his comments to the affair as reported by the Globe and Mail.

"Would accommodation have been preferred? Yes," he said. "Was I able to secure that? No. But I'm not crying over spilt milk."
Mr. Gusella said that he had taken on additional debt to increase his asset positions, and "unfortunately the events of the day overtook me at a time when you can't find liquidity overnight… Never in my wildest dreams did I expect, with the progress we've made as a company, that we'd have a market meltdown as we've seen. Nobody did."


I don't get what accomodations he expected, another loan? more time to cover his margin? sell off other stocks and assets so he can stick it through with this one? This market crash sucks, but it's teaching everyone a very good lesson that needed to be clearly taught. Just because times are good now doesn't mean it'll last forever. Greed, over-confidence and the casualness of taking in debt is what started this whole mess in the first place and the cautious investor is getting screwed because of it. If I was an investor of CLL and just watched the guy who's suppose to steer my company through tough times dump 615,000 shares into the bid and look like a deer in headlights after it happened...I'd be scared and pissed off.


In an episode of Futurama, brain leeches attach themselves to everyone and turns them all dumb, except for Fry.

Fry: What are we going to do?
Professor: Duh, I know, let’s play the lottery.
Amy: No, let’s buy stock!
Zoidberg: On margin! Zoidbee wants to buy on margin.
Fry: Wait a minute, I know what’s going on here. You’ve all become idiots!


Well put dude.

No comments: